Thursday, September 20, 2007

The bear with the hard stare




It says something about the British, that when a bear called Paddington is seen munching Marmite sarnis, it gets a prime spot on the BBC news site, and several other places on the Net.


I don’t know what it says about the Brits, and really it’s best if we don’t.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

For the rest of you, out there, 'Paddington' is the creation of writer, Michael Bond, and likes to eat Marmalade sandwiches.
(For you Yanks, that’s orange jam, got it?)


The Queen wears a crown and Paddington … well, he eats marmy sarnis.

So when an agency made commercials, promoting our Paddington as a muncher of Marmite, there was bear fur all over the place.


Michael Bond had to issue some strongly worded denials, that ‘the bear with the very hard stare’ had not forsaken his roots, I mean, his marmalade.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

There was Mr Bond, on BBC’s Radio 4, being interviewed about a toy bear.
I quote:
‘Mr Bond told BBC Radio 4's Today programme that Paddington would not give up marmalade for good. ‘
So that’s all right then.


I was quite freaked out by the whole thing, in fact I nearly complained to the Authorities. How sad is that?
Before anyone replies, let me assure you that I am famous for the chilling quality of my ‘Paddington stare’.
Yep.



Links to Paddington Bear

Official Site of Paddington Bear

BBC News Online




Top of the British Blogs

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Seems now Paddington has a bit of variety in his diet with a little Marmite in betweenst his marmalade sandwiches. Orange jam provides vitamin C and Marmite provides all vitamins B. Now we know how the bear with the hard stare gets his nutrition.

Even in these uncertain times, somehow, I always knew I could count on you, Red_Fred, for the chilling quality of your Paddington stare.

It's that kind of confidence that makes your blog most certainly one of the best!

zaphod said...

I think that things are getting pretty sad when the makers of
Marmite try to hijack Paddington.

The BBC were right..there aint much else going on is there ?

Red Fred said...

Thank you lil sis - and the marmiting of Paddington is a national disgrace - I shall write to the Primie Minister

Tragic, Zap, tragic....*shakes head*

Anonymous said...

This must be one of them limey things... always thought Paddington was a railway station.... didn't know there were any bears there .... just as well they eat marmalade what? Or even marmite, well you seem to think that's the first step to eating railway passengers, now I agree that would be something to get in a lather about... better safe than sorry, what?

zaphod said...

Talking about eating other railway passengers, I just wondered if there were any Kraken there.....chortle

Anonymous said...

The Kraken, my dear Zaphod, is always there. Anywhere, anytime. That's why he is THE KRAKEN.

Red Fred said...

I know *icy glare* that the Krauts are very proud of their railways..BUT..they don't have a bear
AND we - do not have Krakens littering up the place either

So you two, can cut all that kraken stuff out - forthwith.

Anonymous said...

Proud of our railways? It's only limeys who get impressed by it. We Krauts grumble horribly at 5 mins delay.

As for the Kraken, ignorin won't make it slither away, my dear ostrich. It's still waitin right beneath ya, to grab yer ankle ...

zaphod said...

I knew it...I just knew there was a Kraken at Paddington station...I knew I was right. Fred is organising a cover up.

Anonymous said...

You know I wouldn't put that past Fred. I don't know what the murky reasons may be for such heineousness but know they are, well, murky and er heineous. And I suspect the bear to be their minion, they is all in league, yes they is. *paranoid glare over shoulder*

Mad Dog said...

Oh, this is all so English. I fear I'm too late on this thread to make any meaningful or pithy comment. Later...

Red Fred said...

Mad Dog, if you can inject any sanity into this lot, and their comments *glare* I shall be more than grateful – and just becos’, some idiot grabbed my ankle in the Ghost Train, last Christmas , there is no call for the Kraut to be so bloody smug (nothing grabbed her ankles, did it?)

Last time I checked *bitter sarcasm* no beastie was eating the passengers at Paddington, so Zap and the Kraut can zip it up.

I know who, and what is murky or heinous, round here, and it surely ain’t me.

I shall get 'murky', if I see any more ‘Krackens’ on this Blog, so there.

Red Fred said...

MadDog was kind but truthful, when I suggested he could keep you lot in order
Here it is

RF: I'm not sure how I'd describe the patrons of your blog. "Eccentric" to say the least (I know you'll have a more colourful expression). Unfortunately medical science has no answer to the issues on your site and diagnosing/curing rickettsial disease will be a doddle in comparison.

Anonymous said...

Poor sod, I'm sure he didn't know that you would divulge his reckless comments here Fred, in bold letters too, or he surely would have bitten his right arm off at the wrist afore trustin you with em. Runnin for his life now probly, and so he should, so he should ... there's little chance of escapin the bears though, and as for escapin The Kraken....NONE... *mad stare and maniacal cackle* ... too true, Rickettsia ain't in it