Thursday, December 06, 2007

Can you hear the weather?



I don’t think the weather bods in this country have got it right; at one time our television broadcasts were bespattered by a clutch of toothsome young women, who beseeched us ‘to wrap up warmly’ and ‘take care out there’.

Not everyone cared for these sweetie-pies, and comments about ‘unwanted Nannies’ were rife: there were nostalgic longings for the weather forecasts of yesteryear.


bbc fish

I mean no one could imagine Michal Fish exhorting you to ‘Have a warm scarf’ or look terribly anxious at the thought of rain pattering down on your little head.


He might have assured us that the gales which flattened this country (1987) did not exist


I quote:

"Earlier on today apparently a lady rang the BBC and said she heard that there was a hurricane on the way. Well don't worry if you're watching, there isn't."

But he wore a tweedy jacket with a tie, and looked like everyone’s class teacher.
Fine, that’s how I like it – it’s going to rain, and the isobars do their thing.

(Mr Fish now says he was talking about Florida- I never heard him say anything about Florida)
Never mind

They’ve lost the plot, them at the BBC. The current trend is for the presenter to stand out in the rain, cold and miserable, telling you that....wait for it hombres....
‘It’s going to rain.’ Gosh.


I can’t see that having the poor sod stand in their Blue Peter garden improves it either.

(for you Yanks , BP is a kid’s programme where they make things out of cartons, and borrow the kiddies from a stage school, to make it look good)

What’s wrong with the studio format, where a person, in this case, a nice young lady, stands in front of a chart and points?
Nothing at all


helen youngbbc


I think the Yanks have got it right – cheerful person, in nice warm studio, and however bloody awful the weather is, beams at you anyway.

usa

I guess the Beeb are into reality TV.

Let’s be happy they don’t ask the presenter to add sound effects, when it’s windy.

Yep.


Top of the British Blogs

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Those BBC-bips musta got that idea from our local tv. Hapless forecaster teetering on Baltic shore in a gale, hair in their eyes, lighthouse in the background, and the kraken creepin' up on 'em stealthily from behind...

Afore I get dirty looks fer mentiunin' da kraken agin, ye should all ponder a moment that I might easily have done in the gonads thread ... and didn't do it. So be thankful!

Anonymous said...

I think the Beeb is trying to lose surplus weather peeple - only last week they had one poor windswept individualstanting on a cliff at Happisburgh *pronounced Hazeboro* while the cold wet North Sea gobbled up yet another house.
Now coastal erosion is one thing, but I'm sure I caught a glimpse of a big suckerplate on the end of a tentacle slidin' out of the surf in the direction of this poor presenter... Reckon I heard the cameraman snigger, too...
Haw, haw...

Mad Dog said...

Poor Michael Fish. He was the worst dressed presenter on the Planet. The American style weather models are nice to look at but somehow are very annoying.

I have to say that one of them should have reminded me to bring an umbrella when I was sneaking around the Oxford Ring Road earlier. I was hoping to get a Kraken sighting but no such luck. I would have popped in for a cuppa if I'd had time but no such luck. However the events of today ensured that I'll be back in the not too distant future...

Mad Dog said...

sorry I written "no such luck" twice in the last comment. The second one was bad editing. I've had about two hrs sleep in the past two days....

Red Fred said...

I can't say *coldly* that I was impressed by Delicia's restraint - my theory is that she didn't have the opportunity, so there

As for Mr Dish-wash, he will find sucker-plates grabbing him in some very tender places, haw haw...

I trust MadDog isn't working on the idea of 'if you can't beat 'em, join 'em - drat, you could had coffee with me (without a kraken in sight)

Mad Dog said...

RF: I'll have coffee with you on my next visit (it'll be be in 2008). Promise.

Red Fred said...

Mad Dog, if you can cope with Oxford's strange traffic system, you will be most welcome!
(park and ride is a good idea)

Mad Dog said...

Merry Christmas and a Happy New year!